As the title states, this recipe needs no introduction! This recipe is world famous. Probably the most common doctored recipe out there.
This makes a super moist cake with good density. Not quite as dense as pound cake but a tight crumb. This cake can be a bit soft and “wet” and might form a crystallized sugar “shell” on the top when baking; that is normal. This will also extend the volume vs a regular box recipe. Good for dessert cakes, cupcakes, carving, buttercream or fondant cakes. Makes great cake balls with no binder needed. Seriously a wonderful recipe. (The carrot cake version is to die for.)
- 1 box cake mix 15.25 ounces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/8 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla flavoring
- 1 tsp. clear almond flavoring
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites or 3 whole eggs
1. Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl and mix well with whip attachment. Add remaining ingredients and mix with beater attachment on speed 1 – 2 until smooth and incorporated. Do not overmix.
2. Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 until done. Baking times will vary, but a 10 inch round cake will take approx. 60 to 65 minutes.
3. You can make this into any flavor by starting with a flavored cake mix, and adjust the flavorings as desired. May be doubled.
— NOTE: The water is reduced to 1 1/8 cup per mix for the now smaller 15 oz cake mixes. — I do not recommend Pillsbury for this recipe.
— NOTE: You can create almost any flavor cake with this recipe by starting with that flavored cake mix and changing the additional flavorings.
Let me know if you use this recipe!